Saturday 7 February 2015

Clockwork: A Range (of Cover Art)



A placeholder, really, until I clear the time to get this blog properly up and running with, I hope, chronological-by-date-of-publication readings of and reactions to Burgess's books. Until that point, here are a few of my favourite examples of cover art for AB's most celebrated (though not his best) novel. Some of these are just lazy:



Some look rather like an upside-down John Lennon:


With some, you feel they could have tried a little harder:


With many, there's a deadening tendency towards the over-literal:






I like the 'Jaffa' sticker on that last one, as if without that steer we'd never recognise that orange blob as an orange. Other covers look more like An Elric Orange (not, in itself, a bad idea for a mash-up novel, I think):



Some, I think, are trying too hard:



Amongst the oddest is the cover of the first edition, with a purple Burgess Himself spitting a bit of Nasdat at us in an (of course) orange speech bubble:



Then there's the Sex Change Author edition:


But perhaps my favourite is this one, illustrating that scene in the novel when a lady's stocking-clad leg emerges from the psychedelic snail-shell whirlpool:


Bonus point: behold the I think excellent comparison the author of this blog makes between the cover of A Clockwork Orange and the cover of another book.

No comments:

Post a Comment